Swami Premananda‏ alias BabuRam


July 31, 1918

Mother: Listen, my child. However spiritual a man may be, he must pay the tax for the use of the body to the last farthing. But the difference between a great soul and an ordinary man is this: the latter weeps while leaving this body, whereas the former laughs. Death seems to him a mere play.

Ah, my dear Baburam [Swami Premananda] came to Sri Ramakrishna while he was a mere boy. Sri Ramakrishna used to make great fun with the boys. Naren [Swami Vivekananda] and Baburam would roll on the ground with sidesplitting laughter. While living in the Cossipore garen, I was once climbing the steps, carrying a pitcher with five pounds of milk. I felt giddy, and the milk spilled on the ground. My heels were dislocated. Naren and Baburam ran there and took care of me. There was a great inflammation of the feet. Sri Ramakrishna heard of the accident and said to Baburam, "Well, Baburam, it is a nice mess I am in now. Who will cook my food? Who will feed me now?" He was then ill with cancer in the throat and lived only on farina pudding. I used to make it and feed him in his room in the upper story of the house. I had, then, a ring in my nose. Sri Ramakrishna touched his nose and made a sign of the ring by describing a circle with his finger, in order to indicate me. He then said, "Baburam, can you put her (making the sign) in a basket and carry her on your shoulder to this room?" Naren and Baburam were convulsed with sidesplitting laughter. Thus he used to cut jokes with them. After three days the swelling subsided. Then they helped me to go upstairs with his meals.
Baburam used to tell his mother, "How little you love me! Do you love me as Sri Ramakrishna does? "How foolish!" she would reply, "I am your mother, and I do not love you? What do you mean?" Such was the depth of Sri Ramakrishna's love. While four years old, Baburam would say, "I will not marry, or else I will die." When Sri Ramakrishna was suffering from cancer in the throat and could not swallow his food, he said one day, "I shall eat later on in my subtle body through a million mouths." Baburam, replying, said, "I do not care for your million mouths or your subtle body. What I want is that you should eat through this mouth and that I shall see this gross body."

Sri Ramakrishna never accepted anyone with numerous children. "A man begetting twenty-five children! What a shame! Is he a man? No self-control! He is a veritable beast!"

- Taken from "Conversations from the Diary of a Disciple, Sarajubala Devi"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga Mudras for Life

Vallalar Birthday Today

Phalaharini Kali Puja